So my post today will have some awesome recipes and jewelry that is strawberry themed.
The fragrantly sweet juiciness and deep red color of strawberries can brighten up both the taste and aesthetics of any meal; it is no wonder they are the most popular berry fruit in the world. Although strawberries have become increasingly available year-round, they are at the peak of their season from April through July when they are the most delicious and most abundant.While there are more than 600 varieties of strawberries that differ in flavor, size and texture, one can usually identify a strawberry by its red flesh that has yellow seeds piercing its surface, and the small, regal, green leafy cap and stem that adorn its crown. In addition to strawberries that are cultivated, there are also varieties that grow wild. These are much smaller in size, but feature a more intense flavor.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- 18 ladyfingers
- 1/3 cup chilled espresso
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and slice the berries. Reserve 2 large whole berries for garnish.
- In a blender, place 2 cups of strawberries and 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar; blend to puree and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese, 1/4 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar, and liqueur; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until thickened.
- Place 6 ladyfingers on a serving plate and brush each with approximately 1 teaspoon cold espresso coffee. Spread or pipe out 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, and layer with half of the sliced strawberries.
- Repeat with the next 6 ladyfingers, espresso, remaining cheese mixture, and sliced strawberries; top with remaining 6 ladyfingers.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until just whipped, approximately 1 minute. Spread cream evenly over top layer of ladyfingers.
- Dust cocoa over whipped cream, and garnish with 2 reserved strawberries. Pour strawberry puree onto two serving plates. Cut tiramisu in half, and place onto puree.
Recipe: Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade
Found this recipe on the blog One Ordinary Day it's really great!
4-6 lemons, enough to equal 1 cup of lemon juice
1-1 1/2 c. simple syrup (recipe follows)
16 oz. container of strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1 quart sparkling water
mint to garnish (I just used small strawberries for garnish.)
Juice the lemons to get 1 cup of lemon juice. Blend the strawberries and 1/2 c. of the simple syrup in a blender or with an immersion blender, until smooth. Strain to remove the seeds. Pour lemon juice, strawberry puree, 1/2 c. simple syrup, and sparkling water into a pitcher. Add more simple syrup if needed to achieve the sweetness you like. Add ice and chill.
Recipe: Simple Syrup
(I only used 1 c. of simple syrup for my pitcher of lemonade. If you want it more sweet than tart, use 3/4 c. sugar to 3/4 c. water and add it all.)
1 part sugar to 1 part water
Combine sugar and warm water. Stir to dissolve sugar. (This can also be done on t
he stovetop, but I found this was faster and easier.)
My love of strawberries extends into my wardrobe sometimes. I have a Vintage Sarah COVENTRY Strawberry Ice Silver tone Brooch. That I found on ebay. It's so cute to add to a dress or hat. It is just too cute.
My cup raneth over when i found a pair of D'Orsay style heels with strawberries on the toe. They are so one of my ultimate faves.
I just find them lovely.
Finally a throw back to 1983 i found this pic on photobucket. This is the tricycle i had when i was three! However i think mine was all red.
As we move into Spring i look forward to excellent Strawberries in all the foodie forms chefs and home cooks can think of. In salads, on shortcake, Ina Garten's strawberry country cake, Paula Deen's Strawberry cake, and just plain with fresh heavy cream and vanilla. One of God's greatest creations..The Strawberry!