Moroccan Rhassoul Clay

Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Okay I'm always looking for a new natural thing to add to my arsenal of natural products for face and hair. I think I may have found a winner in Moroccan Rhassoul Clay.  Rhassoul clay comes from the Atlas Mountains in Morocco..often called Moroccan Red clay this burnt red colored clay is a wonder.  It has been used for centuries to cleanse and beautify. The clay is naturally fine and only needs the addition of water to become effective.

When I think of a clay for beauty i think of a face mask. This clay is wonderful for the face. I use about 1 tablespoon of clay to just enough water that makes a paste and apply it over my face for a mask. A thin layer is enough to give results of soft and wonderful skin after about 15 minutes. Rinse face with water and pat dry then feel that baby softness of your skin. If you have acne it also is supposed to dial it back and help eliminate. I can attest to the drying out of blemishes and the dialing back of breakouts. Complete eradication..not there yet, maybe a few more uses of the clay. The reason: Rhassoul clay is rich in minerals such as silica, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium and sodium. It helps detoxify the skin while it exfoliates gently. It balances skin’s natural oil production, and is hydrating to dry skin and calming to oily skin.  It improves clarity, removes dead skin cells, and improves skin texture.

I've also used the clay to remove makeup. I use mineral makeup and a primer one for my face and one for my eyes so i have two products with silicone which can be difficult to remove without drug store removers or using an oil cleansing method. I'm not comfy with using oil on my eyes all the time even though it's effective, also I'm not liking having to buy cotton balls all the time or wash wash cloths over and over (laundry of an infant 4 yo and two adults is a lot already) also, I think eliminating those items is just a little more green.  Back to the Rhassoul clay. Using the Rhassoul clay as a makeup remover is amazing. Letting the clay powder become a full on clay and remove my makeup and reveal soft cleansed and balanced skin is AMAZING. My skin is soft, firm and not really in need of my nightly grapeseed oil moisturization (if i do use the grapeseed oil i use less..wow!). Also it takes me a lot less time to scrub away my makeup with the clay than it does with the oil cleansing method. This to me is a great aspect of the clay because with an infant, time is a precious commodity.

For the hair, Rhassoul clay can be used in two methods: as a cleanser and as a hair mask.  The clay is a gentle cleanser and will not strip the hair of essential oil while it cleanses strands and the scalp.  Being gentle and having anti-inflammatory properties, Rhassoul clay is said to be a great help for those with dry scalp or dandruff. As a hair mask this is great to increase volume, if you have curly hair it will help control frizz and tighten your curls ( my personal experience). Hair is soft and manageable and frizz free. Mix enough clay and water to produce a mud like consistency rub into hair and wrap with a warm towel or shower cap and leave on for about 15-20 min. wash out thoroughly with warm water.

All in all I am so pleased with the Rhassoul clay.  It's an inexpensive and multiple use clay that I am fortunate to have found.


Photobucket Image Hosting

0 comments: